Do you love an addict? Is addiction destroying your relationship your family? Do you find yourself looking online to find out how to help an addict? Are you exhausted by the relationship? Are you finally starting to realize you have to let go?
Here, we explore some of the thinking behind why you stay with an addict. And we invite you to let go of the fear and to do something different. More from someone who has been there, with a section for you to share your questions or situation at the end.
Do You Find Yourself Saying…
- “I am scared that if I leave they will die or be homeless or kill themselves.”
- “I am afraid that if I leave, they will get better and find someone else.”
- “I am frightened of being alone.”
- “I am petrified that I will never love anyone like I love the addict.”
- “I am fearful of telling my friends and family how bad things really are.”
The one thing all of these statements have in common are the words: SCARED, AFRAID, FRIGHTENED, PETRIFIED, FEARFUL. These are all just different words for feelings of fear. It is difficult to think about letting go of someone when you have so many fears about leaving. But,moving on after a relationship with an addict may be just what you need.